Saturday, October 11, 2008

Have any of you ever driven down Jalan Kia Peng before?

It's a beautiful road; a haven of green lush landscape smack dab in the middle of this metropolis we like to call Kuala Lumpur. Old trees are lined up at the side of the road, the houses are living heritages.

I used to stop by and look at one particular house. It was situated opposite Top Hat, and to its left was the KL Convention Center. It was a gorgeous house; a colonial British style, complete with a garden, courtyard, huge veranda and a stream running across the front gate. The environment was lush, full of big ol' trees and beautiful flowers. I used to joke that one day I would buy that house, as I thought it wonderful that there was this spectacular piece of greenery in the middle of a concrete jungle.

Imagine my shock when I passed by it this morning and saw that it was completely demolished. The house was leveled; the trees were gone, and all that's left is an empty plot of soil.

I've been questioning capitalism for a while now, and this hits home. Badly. The Jalan Kia Peng area is slowly being turned into a money making address. There are condominiums being built on the left, right and front side of my house. I keep thinking, what for?

I've never been a big fan of pure capitalism. One of the questions I keep pondering on and on is at what cost should capitalism be? We've lost our heritage, environment, and ultimately, our soul. What is up with this neverending quest for greed? It's costing us more than it's profiting.

I applaud Penang for keeping its heritage. Penang to me, should be taken as example by every other state. This vibrant city is full of people with conscience. Take a drive around the island and you can see many heritage places being reserved; and Penang's culture is so distinct and infectious that you cannot help but be drawn to it. I've met so many awe-inspiring people in Penang, history lovers, people who appreciate the finer things in life. And by finer things I don't mean those pieces of paper you keep in your wallet. There was where I began to develop my civic consciousness, an awareness that I never really thought of as important before.

Living in this capitalistic environment, where everything follows the Theory of the Firm, has taken its toll on me. KL has lost its essence; its zest. People couldn't care less as to what cost it is for them to be able to get what they want. I don't envy these people who have the latest phones, go to the latest clubs and buy the latest fashion. I pity them. They've lost sight of what's important. This individualistic society, where no one gives a shit about each other, could be blamed on having such a capitalistic view on things.

I find it ironic that the friends I look up to, who are teaching me ethics and make me question my own self, all lived outside KL. Maybe it's because they lived outside this society that they developed such a good outlook on life. I respect them completely. Never in a million years would I thought I'd get inspired by an amazing group of friends, who are ethical and strong in their convictions. I'm glad I met them just before I go overseas.

I don't shun capitalism purely; yes people should be able to gain what they earned. You work hard, you get more money. Everyone needs their worth to be recognize; it's the only way someone can grow. But at what cost? A great example would be Hong Kong. Once famous for its waterfront, they have now built so much high rises in front of it that one can't see the waterfront anymore. They've lost the one thing that have made them unique.

Pure capitalism has failed. Want proof? Take one look at America's economy. Enough said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pegi baca buku!